Saturday, October 26, 2013

Sons of the Sea- Get Wet.

As I write this blog with my Incubus shrine next to me, I will try my damnedest to be unbiased.
(Some beloved photographs and artwork by Brandon Boyd on my bookshelf.)


Dive deep in this one, people, because Brandon Boyd is at it again.

Sons of the Sea is Incubus' front man, Brandon Boyd's, new project. With help from producer and friend, Brendan O'Brien, it combines Boyd's lyrical talent and O'Brien's creativity on piano, guitar and bass. Josh Freese was on drums. O'Brien produced Incubus' last three albums and has done work with Pearl Jam and the Killers also.

The EP- "Compass" has 4 tracks that flow ever so smoothly. Close your eyes and you can easily get lost at sea. This is a very surreal 16 minutes of music. Hard to not bob your head and learn the lyrics to these 4 songs.

The official video for "Come Together" tells it all. It shows Boyd and a beautiful dark skinned woman spooning with a milky white background. Barely dressed they are, just as exposed as Boyd's lyrics.

I can't even put this EP into a music genre. It's a genre of it's own. (Okay, time to be biased, this is MY blog.) Every single album Brandon Boyd has been a part of, in my opinion, has had it's own unique sound and THAT is what keeps me coming back for me as a fan. He is one talented guy that is constantly learning, changing and providing us with new sounds.

This album should hold me over until the Incubus hiatus is over.



No comments:

Post a Comment