Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Enjoy Incubus- A Tribute from NJ

Well folks, my hardest assignment yet. If you haven't figure it out yet, incubus is my absolute favorite band. I know every line to every song, rarity and b-side they've ever created. I collect books and magazines in which they are featured. I have guitar pics and ticket stubs saved. I admit I have a few pictures of their lead singer framed in my bedroom. I have two incubus inspired tattoos. Does that say enough?

They are the most multi-faceted and talented band to ever grace this earth. Each album they've created is so different from another yet their lyrics always speak to me. I grew up with incubus. When I was in elementary school my grandfather used to get those Columbia House cd pamphlets in the mail where you could pick 10 cds for around $10 bucks. He let me choose a cd one time and I randomly picked "A Fungus Amougus." Anyone that really knows this album would probably laugh when I say that is the album that made me fall in love with their sound. It was unlike anything I ever heard before. Fast forward 6+ albums later and almost 20 years, (HOLY SHIT I'M GETTING OLD), incubus is still creating amazing music unlike anything else out there.

When incubus goes on a hiatus, they are still creating music. Last year I was privileged enough to see their bass player, Ben Kenney perform his solo stuff at the Hard Rock Cafe in Pittsburgh. Lead singer, Brandon Boyd has released a few solo albums and books with his artwork. Mike Einziger, one of the world's greatest guitarists, is a composer and wrote two orchestras and played acoustic guitar on Avicii's "Wake Me Up." Just to name a few things, they are constantly perfecting their craft.

But for someone who is absolutely obsessed with incubus, what are they to do when they go on these hiatus for over a year? Be patient? YEAH RIGHT. I could listen to any and all of their albums from track one until the end and then on repeat, but I need more.

Then I stumbled upon a cover band. Enjoy Incubus. They reign from New Jersey and holy shit, they rocked my world. This has been my toughest review because it is unbelievably hard to measure up to the band that I worship.

No one can hit the notes that Brandon Boyd does. He has one of the most original voices I've ever heard. But damn, does Chris Rossomando give it his all. I closed my eyes for a moment while listening to their cover of "New Skin" and thought for a second I was listening to the real thing. Not only can he almost hit those high and awkward notes that Brandon Boyd is known for, he can sing great on their acoustic covers as well. And that takes talent. Their acoustic cover of "Wish You Were Here" is absolutely beautiful.

And they aren't just covering the easy stuff like "Pardon Me." These guys are covering some of incubus' toughest songs like "Deep Inside." To play the bass like Ben Kenney is something only true funk masters can do. Oren Levi of Enjoy Incubus sounds just as good. I would even compare him to incubus' original bassist, Dirk Lance. I was amazed.

If you haven't heard of Incubus' lead guitarist, Mike Einziger, then you probably don't know much about the guitar world. He is one of the best. To be able to play in a cover band and duplicate his talent is almost unheard of. But Jose Valenica does it. He shreds that guitar in their cover of "Sick Sad Little World."

Lastly, the man kicking the jams and holding the band together is Rich Fuentes on drums. Jose Pasillas of incubus is an amazing drummer. Seeing him perform live from the first row a few years ago gave me a new found respect for the art of drumming. Rich is just as talented. He really is the backbone of the band and his drumming skills are evident in their cover of Anna Molly.

For those of you who love incubus, check them out. Enjoy Incubus in a new way with these guys from New Jersey.



Like their page on Facebook to see where they are performing next.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Enjoy-Incubus-Tribute-NJ/610331479029086

And definitely take a listen to some of their covers on their soundcloud page.
https://soundcloud.com/enjoyincubusnj

No comments:

Post a Comment