Wednesday, May 21, 2014

RDGLDGRN

Well, I could have went home happy after seeing this band Saturday morning. RDGLDGRN (pronounced Red, Gold, Green... Yes, I stumbled on that for a second and tried pronouncing it something way off) were absolutely amazing. This is not only their band name, but each of the artist stage name. There is RD, GLD and GRN along with their DJ.

I had never heard of them before but as soon as they came on the HangOut stage I knew they'd quickly jump the line to one of my favorite new bands. Their lyrics were all about appreciation, peace and love. They defined this weekend for me. If I had to choose a band that solidified the meaning of HangOut Fest, it would be them.

With reggae, Rastafarian, hip hop, jazz and rock sounds all meshed together- this band was the epitome of an epic beach dance party.

They had the crowd in their grasps and everyone seemed to be entranced. They asked the entire audience to get down to the ground, stay there for a minute, look to the side at the ocean and appreciate it. Then the crowd rose simultaneously and began jumping to the beat of their next song.

Getting the crowd involved is such an important aspect to a band who is trying to gain new fans. They were masters of this. Having them chant lyrics. Teaching them dance moves. Even singing happy birthday to someone in the audience named Aaron.

GRN said, "We come out here and do what we love and you can too. Don't let anyone tell you who you are."

That resonated with me. My entire purpose of working these music festivals was to find myself and finally do something with my life that I love. Yet every time I come back home, I have a constant reminder of the close minded and selfish people I used to hang around. Hearing those words reassured me that I am making the right decision.

As they closed their set, they paid tribute to Bob Marley and sang "Every little thing is gonna be alright." I closed my eyes, danced and knew it too. Everything is going to be alright.

No comments:

Post a Comment