Friday, May 2, 2014

When the Dust Settles- CounterPoint 2014

For a majority of the population, music festivals mean one thing: drugs. Within the last few years, these gatherings have started to hold a negative rep because deaths have occurred within their gates and some say police force isn't strong enough within their walls. But, drugs are always going to be on our streets and innocent citizens have died at the slight of our police forces hands. So why do these artistic meetups gain such a negative connotation? Those who attend music festivals come for more than just the party. They come to escape reality. To let their true alter-egos shine. To meet their soulmates. To dance the night away. To not worry about money. To be free if only for a few short days.

I'm here to spread the positive word about these festivals and prove that the people that get together from all across the world to gather at these weekend camp-outs are one big family all about peace and love. I want to write each piece so vividly that if you attended the festival, you get chills thinking about your amazing weekend again. Or if you've never attended a music festival before, my piece will inspire you to think about it. Or at the very least, change your mind on their atmosphere.

I attended my first music festival last summer in Michigan at Electric Forest. There are no words to describe that weekend other than life changing. It's an experience I will never forget. From that day I knew I had to share the word about my experiences there. I had to let people know of a life that exists outside of the office. I knew I had to attend more music festivals.

To accomplish my piece on the culture of music festivals, I decided to work at them this summer to gain a different perspective. 

I just came back from working Counterpoint Music Festival in Kingston Downs, Georgia. After an 8 hour drive to get the work shuttle then another 3 hours on a bus we were almost there.

Imagine the city in your rear view mirror and nothing but a dirt road for miles in your view ahead. You and a line of cars get to the gates. The dirt is already swirling outside and your car that you just cleaned for your roadtrip has a thin layer of dust. You get out of your vehicle to get it checked to make sure you aren't bringing in glass bottles or weapons and you trace a heart with your finger in the dirt on your car. You're here. You leave everything behind and come inside with nothing but your wristband and an open mind. 

You drive a little more and find your spot in Tent City. You look to the left and you look to the right and you meet your neighbors. These people will be your family and best friends the next few days. You help each other pitch your tents, share a drink or a smoke and you smile. They know nothing about you. You know nothing about them. The cleanest thing you'll have all weekend is your slate. No predispositions and absolutely no judgments. 

The walkway to Tent City. Coutnerpoint.


Music blasting, flags flying and laughter fills your senses. You venture up the hill with hundreds of your closest friends to the venue gates and enter a whole new world.

                            Welcome home.


Once you walked through the gates out of tent city you were in the market district. The general store sold sunscreen and bug spray, the food vendors had the most delicious breakfast burritos, pizza, pad thai and anything else in between. 

Climb the hill a little more and you arrive at the first stage. You see people dancing but you hear no music. You approach the gate, get the headphones placed on your head and you then can hear what the DJ is spinning and you begin to join the dancing crowd. Welcome to the Silent Disco. A hidden treasure at a lot of music festivals.

It's time to explore what the vendors are selling. Want to get your body dipped in glow in the dark paint? Need to trade festival pins? Want to buy a piece of jewelry made out of a piece of nature like a pinecone? You've come to the right place. Each and every item for sale here can't have an appropriate price. Not only are you purchasing something unique you are prolonging your memories of this weekend with whatever you adorn.

And finally it's time to get into the crowd and see the artist of your choice. The lights and the sounds are almost too surreal. Is that Danny Tanner's face I see in the crowd? No, no, that's Jesse Costopoulos. People are yelling for their lost friend, but I'm pretty sure he's in the forest. Some must have forgotten their bug spray because they keep asking for a back scratcher...

Festival Map

Friday night after working my 12 hour shift, I got to see Pretty Lights and he never ceases to amaze me. This time, Derek Vincent Smith was accompanied by his live band. The light show and the vibes from the crowd were absolutely amazing. I can honestly say that I saw this set completely sober. You do not need the drugs or the alcohol to dance and enjoy this kind of music. This music is my drug. And I was higher than I've ever been.

(Pretty Lights at Counterpoint 4/24/14)
After Pretty Lights, I saw Krewella. They give a whole new meaning to Girl Power. It is awe inspiring to see those two women on stage seriously "Killin' It." They pumped up the crowd and destroyed their set. I honestly got chills seeing them. 

I wish I could have seen more acts but I did have to work at the festival. The full line up for Friday was awesome and then you remember you still have two more days.

                         

Saturday I had the privilege of catching some of Foster the People, and I heard them say how they love playing festivals because it brings the best people together in a positive atmosphere that become a community.

I caught some of STS9, Wolfgang Gartner and Griz too. Each act I saw was unique and left me speechless. I have to say though that Griz is a favorite of mine. He gets up on stage with his Sax and makes love to the crowd. That was the funkiest set of the weekend. 

Sunday Funday had a slight delay because of severe thunderstorms. After a few hours of rain, they opened the entrance again and the show was back on the road. Phantogram was absolutely amazing and their chillwave went perfectly with the aura of the passing rain. Flosstradamus murdered their set and left people limping afterwards from dancing so hard. Then the headliners came on for their home reunion. Outkast. It was an absolute honor to be there for their homecoming. 

"You can plan a pretty picnic, but you can't predict the weather."

(Toto, we're not in Counterpoint anymore 4/27/14)

The weekend comes to an end and you are a changed person. Whether this was your first festival or not, you will never be the same. You've seen things and had conversations you could have never dreamed of.

I asked a guy I met this weekend who goes by the name of K2 what makes him keep coming back and he said, 
"A music festival is a dream you'll always remember."

You pack up your car, get back on the road and face reality again. But you are forever changed. Your mind has been opened to new opportunities, you have met people you'll never forget and you are prepared to face whatever challenges life will throw at you.

Next up: Hangout Music Fest in Gulf Shores, Alabama. Keep up with me on this journey to learn more about the behind the scenes workings of these festivals. Don't worry, I don't plan on exposing the magical secrets, that's for you to figure out yourself.








No comments:

Post a Comment